Thursday, May 30, 2013

What I'm Learning about Amigurumi

apple from week 1

I'm now into week 6 of my year long project. I decide the best way to learn about amigurumi was to just practice! I've learnt a few things so far.

Patterns can sometimes work wrong side out! It should be fine as long as you keep the ends on the right side!
coffee cup from week 6

Crochet under both loops. I learnt to crochet under the back loop, but I'm finding a lot of patterns, not just amigurumi that go under both (see this post to see what I'm talking about) I don't think there is a right or wrong way in general, just what you or the pattern maker prefer.


Stuff them solid! It has been a while since I made any kind of soft toy. I made a few in my early teens, under the watchful eye of my mother, and I guess I forgot the technique to filling them up! The few projects I have done so far are a bit too squishy/ under filled.

If you are interested in joining me make 52 amigurumi toys find the list of projects here or find the first post here.




6 comments:

  1. I find amigururumi so adorable! Doubt I'll ever be able to make them myself though! :p

    Ai @ Sakura Haruka

    ReplyDelete
  2. So gorgeous! So, it's a style of stitch originally from Japan?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It means 'knitted/crocheted toy' in Japanese. So basically a Japanese version of crochet

      Delete
  3. Hi! So excited to hear that more and more people are trying to make amigurumi, it's so much fun! Some advice for stuffing narrow parts: try pushing the stuffing down with slightly opened scissors (I don't know if I'm explaining it clearly, but this is how I always stuff my amigurumi). Maybe you like one of my amigurumi patterns too: http://creacarmen.wordpress.com/2013/02/03/rilakkuma-bear-pattern/
    Have fun! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am always in awe of people who can do amigurumi. It's too fiddly for me and I get really annoyed :P These are really cute, more power to you!

    ReplyDelete